Doctors the world have issued strong warnings people not to use disinfectant to treat coronavirus. Their plea follows suggestions Thursday US President Donald Trump that disinfectant could potentially be used to treat COVID-19. President Trump said: "I see the disinfectant, where it knocks [the virus] in one minute....Is there a way we can do something like that injection inside or almost a cleaning?...It gets the lungs and it does a tremendous number the lungs." On Friday, Mr Trump said his comments had been made "sarcastically". The White House press secretary said the media took the comments of context and ran " negative headlines".
Disinfectants are hazardous and toxic substances. They can be poisonous if ingested and have fatal consequences. Reckitt Benckiser, maker the best-selling disinfectant Lysol, warned that its product should " no circumstance" be injected or ingested. The president the American Medical Association also joined the chorus concern regarding President Trump's comments. She said: "It is unfortunate that I have to comment this, but people should no circumstances ingest or inject bleach or disinfectant." She added: "Rest assured, when we eventually find a treatment or vaccine COVID-19, it will not be the cleaning supplies aisle."