Electric-car battery charges in five minutes
Car makers are spending a lot of money on electric cars. In the future, electric cars will replace petrol cars. Environmentalists believe this will reduce the amount of CO2 put into the atmosphere. A big problem for electric cars is charging the battery. Some batteries in today's electric cars can take up to 12 hours to charge fully. However, a company in Israel says it has created a lithium-ion battery that people can charge in just five minutes. This is the same amount of time it takes to fill a tank of gas with petrol. The new lithium-ion batteries were developed by the Israeli company StoreDot. They are being manufactured by a Chinese company called Eve Energy.
The new batteries could totally transform driving. They would mean electric cars would be able to travel as far as petrol cars. Many people with electric cars today suffer from "range anxiety". This is stress caused by worrying about the battery running out of electricity. A StoreDot spokesperson said: "You're either afraid that you're going to get stuck on the highway, or that you're going to need to sit in a charging station for two hours." The new batteries would end this anxiety. A StoreDot spokesperson said: "We're at the point of achieving a revolution in the electric vehicle charging experience". He said it means the switch from petrol to electric cars will happen much faster.
- Just copy and paste the following web address into the URL field of the podcast software you are using.
- If you are using iTunes, just click here for automatic subscription to this podcast.
What's a Podcast?
- A podcast is an audio file (most often an MP3) that you can download to your computer or music player (such as an iPod).
- You can listen to a podcast on a music/MP3 player or a computer.
- Your podcast software will automatically download Breaking News English's daily listening onto your computer and/or music/MP3 player.
- There is no need to visit the Breaking News English site to download the podcast once the above URL is in your podcast software, unless you also wish to look at or download the news article.
- You can listen to the audio file with iTunes, MediaPlayer or RealPlayer.
See Lessons Based On These Themes
Help Support and Promote This Website
Recommend my site on blogs, forums and other sites.
Consider buying my 1,000 Ideas and Activities book.
Please consider helping Breaking News English.com.