Egg freezing offered as perk to female employees
Female workers in the UK are to be offered an unusual perk by their employers. British companies are considering offering egg freezing as a perk. Tech companies like Apple and Facebook already offer egg freezing as a benefit to female employees, and now other companies may follow the tech giants' lead. Many British companies are in talks with IVF clinics about providing the option of egg freezing to women. The UK's largest chain of fertility clinics, CARE Fertility, said it has been in discussion with several high-profile employers. The perk comes at a considerable cost to employers. Apple and Facebook have been offering subsidized egg freezing to female staff at a cost of up to £16,000 ($20,000) per employee.
Companies will provide the egg-freezing perk to allow women in their 20s or 30s to focus on their careers. The idea is that women could make use of their frozen eggs in their 40s when they meet the right partner or are financially stable. Rob Smith, clinical director of CARE London, said: "Successful pregnancy at that age is very low indeed so by freezing eggs earlier on they will just have that guarantee at the back of their mind." Mr Smith said the perk was also an option for couples wanting to conceive later in life. Critics of the idea said it was wrong to prioritise careers over having children. One said: "When [IVF] is done purely to protect their job, I think it's extraordinary that women think this is liberating."
- Just copy and paste the following web address into the URL field of the podcast software you are using.
- If you are using iTunes, just click here for automatic subscription to this podcast.
What's a Podcast?
- A podcast is an audio file (most often an MP3) that you can download to your computer or music player (such as an iPod).
- You can listen to a podcast on a music/MP3 player or a computer.
- Your podcast software will automatically download Breaking News English's daily listening onto your computer and/or music/MP3 player.
- There is no need to visit the Breaking News English site to download the podcast once the above URL is in your podcast software, unless you also wish to look at or download the news article.
- You can listen to the audio file with iTunes, MediaPlayer or RealPlayer.
See Lessons Based On These Themes
Help Support and Promote This Website
Recommend my site on blogs, forums and other sites.
Consider buying my 1,000 Ideas and Activities book.
Please consider helping Breaking News English.com.