India has banned the best selling Maggi brand of instant noodles. The noodles are made by the Swiss company Nestlé. Health authorities found the noodles contained too much lead. India's food authorities reported that the noodles had seven times more lead than is legal. They also had too much monosodium glutamate - a chemical that brings out the taste of food. News agencies say Delhi might take legal action against Nestlé because of an unsafe product. They also say Delhi is upset that Nestlé told people the noodles were healthy when they were not.
The Indian Army has also advised its soldiers and staff not to eat Maggi noodles. It asked its canteens not to sell any more Maggi noodles. Colleges and roadside cafes will also stop selling the noodles. Millions of Indians will be without their favourite snack until Nestlé changes its recipe. The Indian government does not like the health risk from the lead in the noodles. A health expert from the Associated Press said: "[Too much] intake of lead can cause damage to the kidneys, bones and nervous system. It is particularly harmful to children and can cause learning disorders."