This is the text (if you need help).
Doctors in the United Kingdom have some new advice for people with coughs. They are advising people not to visit a doctor to get treatment. Instead, people who have a cough should drink or eat honey or get some medicine from a drugstore. The doctors say that in most cases, honey and over-the-counter medicines will work and people do not need antibiotics. The doctors added that most of the time, a cough will improve on its own within two to three weeks even if you take nothing. Many of us visit a doctor at a hospital or clinic if we have a cough. Public health officials in England say this is largely a waste of time. They say antibiotics do little to make a cough go away.
Doctors say we are using antibiotics too much and this can be bad for us. Many viruses and infections are becoming resistant to antibiotics, so medicines are becoming less effective. Doctors say this is leading to the creation of superbugs. These can be very dangerous to our health. The doctors said honey can be very effective in soothing a sore throat and making other symptoms disappear. A hot drink with honey is a traditional and well-known remedy for coughs and sore throats. People also add lemon or ginger to it. Using honey may be better for children with coughs. Many children do not like the taste of medicine but love the taste of honey. Younger children generally do not like visiting a doctor.Comprehension questions
- Where are doctors advising people with coughs not to visit?
- Where did doctors say people could get medicine?
- What did doctors say people with coughs did not need?
- How long might it take a cough to improve on its own?
- What did public health officials call visiting a hospital?
- What did doctors say we are using too much of?
- What are becoming resistant to antibiotics?
- What did doctors say were being created?
- What did doctors say honey could soothe?
- Who might honey be better for?
Back to the honey lesson.